Mercedes offers 4X4 Crew Van
Drawing interest parked along the street outside my home during a summer week was a big, red Mercedes-Benz Sprinter 2500 Crew Van.
This is the high-roof model, competing with other commercial vans, such as Ram ProMaster, Ford Transit Connect, Chevy Express, GMC Savana, Nissan NV.
Oversize it is; yet, to drive the Mercedes Sprinter is to like it, with its 3.0-liter, turbodiesel V-6 engine, 5-speed automatic transmission and four-wheel-drive capability. Horsepower is 188 and torque rating is 325 lb.-ft.
Behind the two front bucket seats are three crew seats, and a rear area wide open and tall enough in which to stand and walk around. Rear barn doors (split swingouts) open up for ease of access and large-load entry into the cargo area. Driving with an empty cargo area can be noisy and a bit rough in ride. It rolls on Continental LT 245/75R16 tires.
Open the sliding passenger-side cargo door of the van and a wide step board swings out from beneath for easy entry.
The Sprinter averaged 17.5 miles per gallon of diesel fuel in 90 miles.
From a base price of $41,495, the 2017 Mercedes Sprinter van with the turbodiesel and four-wheel drive carried a sticker price of $60,450 with these added options:
- 4X4 high range with low-range transfer case $7,495;
- safety package of blind-spot assist/collision-prevent assist/lane-keeping assist/heated and electrically adjustable mirrors/first-aid kit $2,680;
- navigation system/rearview camera/cruise control $1,530;
- headlamp cleaning system/bixenon headlamps/light alloy wheels $1,430;
- electric sliding step $979;
- flame red exterior finish $620;
- electrically heated windshield $440,
- and others.